Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Corporation was established in the year 1972 by the then Hon’ble Chief Minister Muthamizh Arignar Kalaignar with the noble task of procurement, storage and distribution of essential commodities under the Public Distribution System. Tamil Nadu was the first state in the country to constitute such a body which has contributed significantly in ensuring food security to the people of the state.
Later, the Corporation was registered on 1st April 2010 under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 (Section 8 of Companies Act 2013) in the name “TAMILNADU CIVIL SUPPLIES CORPORATION “.
Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Corporation is headed by the Hon’ble Minister for Food & Civil Supplies as the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
The Corporation is subdivided into 33 Regions, one in each revenue district and two in Chennai city headed by Senior Regional Managers/Regional Managers. The Corporation has 7,293 permanent employees and 5,111 seasonal employees working in the Head office, Regional offices, Godowns, Modern Rice Mills, Fair Price Shops and Amudham Departmental stores all over the state. Besides the above employees, 5,199 loadmen and 27,845 Seasonal loadmen are employed in the godowns, Direct Procurement Centres for paddy and in the modern rice mills of the corporation.